SVP, Group Creative Director
New York, NY
We are looking for an accomplished and experienced high-science SVP, Group Creative Director with a deep oncology copywriting background to join our team creating marketing materials for the pharmaceutical advertising industry. You will focus on the healthcare professional audience, and educational materials for the patients they serve. As an SVP, Group Creative Director, you will oversee a team of creative professionals, setting the creative direction for high-profile brands under a single client and modeling excellence across all team interactions. You will also build excellent client relationships, partnering with team members leading the vision for each brand, and advocating for bold thinking that ensures the delivery of creative solutions that meet our clients' goals. The GCD reports to the Executive Creative Director (ECD). This role is hybrid - mostly remote, but there will be a need to occasionally travel onsite to the client (New Jersey).
Creative Role and Responsibilities:
1. Creative Leadership: Inspire and guide creative team to produce scientifically grounded and compelling communications for advanced medicine.
2. Science-based Storytelling: Understand high-science content and demonstrate capability to pull unique opportunities from the data to tell a story to move hearts and minds of hematologists and oncologists, and the patients they serve.
3. Creative Direction: Set the creative direction for communications, ensuring agreement on, but bold interpretation of brand guidelines, industry regulations, and market trends. Have a finger on the pulse of the work, reviewing with team creative directors daily to ensure excellence in execution.
4. Collaboration and Partnership: Collaborate with agency teams, especially Strategy and Account Management teams, to understand clients' brand strategies, target audiences, market nuances, competitive pressures, and marketing goals. Translate these insights into creative strategies that promote engagement.
5. Client Relationships: Act as a necessary contact for clients, building relationships and understanding their needs. Collaborate with Account Management teams to ensure understanding between client expectations and creative deliverables. Be live, on-site and in person for important client meetings and be comfortable with and eager to workshop challenges in real time.
6. Team Management: Viewed as a leader on the team and within the agency. Is a manager of managers, helping CD reports overcome challenges, collecting insights to ensure talent-to-task resourcing and providing constructive feedback. Inspire a collaborative spirit, instilling confidence in direct and skip-level reports of their abilities to exceed creative standards. Conduct performance evaluations, mentor staff to greatness, and foster a collaborative and positive work environment.
7. Quality Control: Maintain standards of creative excellence, accountable for assembling teams that can navigate the production process to ensure accurate and error-free execution of creative materials within agreed timelines.
8. Budget and Resource Management: Collaborate with the executive team to manage creative budgets, allocate resources, and improve productivity for assigned teams
9. Business Development: Experience leading pitches with demonstrated ability to contribute to the pitch story, concept ideas with impact, and complete work on pitch timelines
- Bachelor's degree in advertising, marketing, or a related field. Advanced science degree beneficial.
- Minimum of 10-15 years of experience in creative roles within the advertising industry, with extensive experience in oncology and healthcare marketing.
- Portfolio showcasing conceptual thinking and execution, demonstrating expertise in creating engaging integrated campaigns.
- Ability to understand the science, research, and claims behind a brand, and contribute to both the visual expression and content of the ideas your teams put forth.
- Experience leading both art and copy members of a creative team, encouraging their professional growth, and delivering outstanding results.
- Experience with the pharmaceutical industry, including regulatory requirements and best practices for healthcare communications.
- Curious, growth-oriented leader passionate about embracing new technology, ideas, and new ideas in general to improve agency operations and client work
- Project management and agency operations skills, coordinating budgets, resources, and diverse teams.
- Empower others to solve. Use the power of the team to make scalable sustainable solutions to creative, operational, and industry challenges.
- Embrace the business end of the role, reviewing scopes and staffing allocations and contributing to or creating decks to sell in work.
- Direct the creative teams so that the team environment, culture, capabilities, processes, and expectations are working in support the goals of the agency
- Run pitches, can step in on large-scale production efforts
- Support planning and strategy in the development of creative or project briefs
Don't meet every job requirement? That's okay! Our company is dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace. If you're excited about this role, but your experience doesn't perfectly fit every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right person for this role or others.